[Haskell-cafe] Linux device drivers

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 17:18:50 EST 2005

I don't think I said anything controversial. I guess I was just
over-simplifying things by only considering PC IDE hardware - but then
again that must get you running on 90% of the systems people are likely
to have lying around to play with a developmental OS on.

On the other hand the average network driver seems to be about 2,000
lines of code, whereas if you add all the parts of the generic ide
driver together you get about 20,000 lines of code. I guess that answers
my question - storage is an order of magnitude harder than networking,
even before including SCSI.

    Regards,
    Keean.