[Haskell-cafe] interesting IO oriented code

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 10:40:04 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:31:20AM -0500, robert dockins wrote:
> 2) It is performant (mostly).  At least it outperforms other Haskell IO
> methods I have tried.  My 'wc' is about twice as fast as the current
> shootout version in informal tests (the shootout code is included in the
> repo).  My md5 can sum somewhere between 2-4Mb/Sec on my hardware.

You know that http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/ is frozen, don't you?
For a current version look at http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
The current version is fast but ugly. There was some comitee work on
Haskell mailing lists to make it prettier, but it didn't make to the
shootout yet.

For some reason the GHC implementation of count-words on the shootout
doesn't compile, perhaps because someone thought it would be a good
idea to give two -O options: -O3 -O2

BTW, do we care about such benchmarks? I am going to have some spare
time and I could work on Haskell solutions a bit, but I'm not sure it's
worth the hassle.

Best regards
Tomasz