[Haskell-cafe] how do I avoid excessive constructor application?

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Mar 2 09:20:15 EST 2005

My point was that this code seems excessively complex:

   fun::(a->a1)->(Either a b)->Either a1 b
   fun f (Left x) = Left (f x)
   fun _ r@(Right x)= Right x

I'd like to avoid the destruction and construction in the third line
by replacing the right hand side with r.  However, the typechecker
then claims my type is wrong.  How do I fix that?

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com