[Haskell-cafe] Re: haskell parser for java bytecode?

karczma at info.unicaen.fr karczma at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Jun 30 13:45:52 EDT 2005

Kimberley Burchett writes:

> Jerzy Karczmarczuk asked:
>>
>> Why for goodness' sake, people interested in Haskell *should* worry
>> about parsing of Java bytecode chunks?
>
> Are you asking why I'm interested in bytecode instead of source code, or
> are you asking why I'm interested in Java at all?
>
> One answer to the first question is: because java bytecode is a simpler
> problem domain...
>
> The answer to the second question is: because the rest of the world
> matters to some people.

===

Actually, I didn't ask why *YOU* are interested in Java, sorry for
the misunderstanding. You do whatever you wish, and I respect it.
All is very fine, and far from any personal doubts.

I reacted because you said that you *were surprised* that Haskell
milieu did not elaborate libraries for parsing of Java code, as it were
natural that everybody, who develops the support for pure functional
languages should immediately think about parsing of Java code. I found
it a bit preposterous.

"People interested in Haskell" did not address you, but the developers
of Haskell. Also, I underlined the word *should*. Had your question been
formulated more modestly, in a less revindicative way, I wouldn't even
open my mouth.
That's all to it. The project of writing such a parser may be useful and
interesting, but it is far from being the ultimate goal of haskellians...
Of course, this is just my private opinion.

Now, if YOU are really interested in programming in Haskell, and you need
such parser, go ahead. Convince people reading this list - I do speak
seriously - that there exists a fabulous application niche for Haskell,
that they might become famous and rich doing such thing.

All the best.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk