[Haskell-cafe] Compiling an extremely large Haskell file (in GHC)

Radu Grigore radugrigore at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:24:56 EDT 2005

On 6/29/05, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Indeed I understand from a colleague who implemented an all-pairs
> shortest paths algorithm in Haskell over the weekend for a map of the
> Hyde Park area of Chicago (no real reason, really!), that it takes about
> 0.1 seconds to execute (if you compile with -O), which is well within
> the 5 second limit...

Well, that is about two times slower than c++ code :p ... I mean: it's
way faster that what I would have expected :) Anyway, I am interested
in how DP-like algorithms are implemented in Haskell (with the same
complexities), not in this particular problem. A week ago I tried LCS,
now the ICFP contest fed me with another algorithm that isn't trivial
to implement in this language. For ICFPC you could use some other
solution than Floyd-Warshall but, again, I am asking about _this_
particular algorithm.

> I wonder why everyone is so interested in the distances between
> intersections in the Hyde Park area of Chicago all of a sudden...

You are right: I'll ask again in 2 weeks. So please don't answer to this post :)

--
regards,
 radu