[Haskell-cafe] RE: Re[4]: [Haskell] Dynamic binding

Ralf Lammel ralfla at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 24 03:44:10 EDT 2005

I guess we just need to agree that we disagree.

Of course, you are right that I am just a newbie when it comes to
Haskell.

How did you know that I am actually a Cobol programmer?
Did you google?
http://www.google.com/search?biw=1003&hl=en&q=Ralf+Cobol

Seriously (?):

1.

I never intended to impose any particular OO style on Haskeller's.
Its more about the *intellectual* question whether we can take
C++/C#/Java
code and do a structure-preserving conversion to Haskell without
starting to argue on paradigm conversion.

Or as Alistair Bayley  argues (Alistair, thanks for helping out!)

http://www.haskell.org/tmrwiki/FpVsOo

"... it might be that you need to interface with external OO code, or
you are porting an existing program and need to remain faithful to the
original design, if only because you don't understand it well enough to
convert it to a functional design. ..."

Bulat, why not read all of this? Also see the end of that Wiki page,
where a reference to a paper is given, which seems to solve all these
problems, but my brain is to small to really be sure. ;-)

2.

No matter how much you try, the code that you showed
was not very close to a faithful Shapes implementation.
If you dare to read the spec:

http://onestepback.org/articles/poly/
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/cus/shapes/

You made two proposals that don't solve the problem no matter of
*style*:

1st proposal of Bulat:

> just create list of draw functions itself:
>
> [drawCircle (10,10) 5, drawSquare (20,20) 10]
>
> you are not expected that this problem can be solved with one line of
code? :)

My reply: you are not building a list of objects.
You are not organizing a loop whose body iterates over a list and
executes functionality.

2nd proposal of Bulat:

> for more complex tasks - declare interface as a structure:
>
> data ShapeInterface = Shape { draw :: IO (),
>                               moveTo :: Point -> IO (),
>                               calcArea :: Float
>                             }
>

> and return this structures from "constructor" functions:
>
> circle x y r = Shape { draw = drawCircle center r,
>                        moveTo newCenter = ....,
>                        calcArea = pi*r*r
>                      }
>                where center = Point x y
>
> square x y size = Shape { draw = ....,
>                           moveTo newCenter = ....,
>                           calcArea = size*szie
>                         }
>
> figures = [circle 1 2 3, square 4 5 6, circle 7 8 9]

The tragedy here is that this stops to work once circles and squares
do have different interfaces. You solution does not scale. Subtyping
allows for interface extension, and the actual benchmark exploits
this, but your code avoids it.

Anyway the solution is trivial: ex. quantification, you didn't propose
that.

Cheers,
Ralf (back to Cobol)