[Haskell-cafe] Space questions about intern and sets

Scott Turner p.turner at computer.org
Thu Jun 2 09:09:31 EDT 2005

On 2005 June 02 Thursday 04:38, Gracjan Polak wrote:
>  >>iorefset :: Ord a => IORef(Map.Map a a)
>  >>iorefset = unsafePerformIO $ do
>  >>     newIORef $ Map.empty

> I could have as many dictionaries as there are types. The problem is I
> get one dictionary for each object which defeats the idea.

To avoid unsafe operations and get control over the dictionaries that are
created, I would put the desired dictionaries into a state monad.  The type
of 'intern' becomes
    Ord a => a -> DictionaryState a
All the code that uses 'intern' would need some modification to deal more
directly with the dictionary state. It may be more complex, but it's also
more solid.