[Haskell-cafe] G machine in FORTH

Andrew Harris andrew.unit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:25:24 EDT 2005

Hi -

   Brace yourself... I work in an environment where FORTH is still used.

   I've been thinking about writing a G-machine interpreter in FORTH
so that one could write Haskell like programs that would compile down
and run "graph-reduction" style on the FORTH machine.

   Many developers think FORTH is nice, but the language is so, shall
we say, "terse".

   I'm curious about what people think about this; having the
expressiveness of a Haskell-like language that compiles to this
environment might provide the best of both worlds, simple hardware
architecture and an advanced programming language.

let me know what you think,
-andrew