[Haskell-cafe] CGI module almost useless

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Jun 1 13:44:38 EDT 2005

My apologies if this sounds like a bit of a rant; I know people put good
effort into this, but....

The Network.CGI module in fptools (and GHC) is not very useful.  I think
that it should be removed or re-tooled.  Here are the main problems with
it:

1. It does not permit custom generation of output headers.  Thus the CGI
script cannot do things like set cookies, manage HTTP auth, etc.

2. It does not permit generation of anything other than text/html
documents.  Many CGI scripts are used to manage other types of
documents.  Notably this makes it incompatible with serving up even
basic things like stylesheets and JPEGs.

3. It does not permit the use of any custom design to serve up HTML,
forcing *everything* to go through Text.Html.  This makes it impossible
to do things like serving up HTML files from disk.

4. There is documentation in the code, but it is as comments only, and
doesn't show up in the Haddock-generated GHC library reference.  (Should
be an easy fix)

5. It does not appear to support file uploads in any sane fashion

Is there a better CGI module out there somewhere that I'm missing, or
should I just set about writing my own?