[Haskell-cafe] Re: Updating the Haskell Standard

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jul 25 09:49:14 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-21, Bulat Ziganshin <bulatz at HotPOP.com> wrote:
> JG> It has been awhile since I wrote a Haskell program that can compile in
> JG> pure Haskell 98 mode.  I think it would benefit everyone if a more
> JG> up-to-date standard were made available.
>
> imho, there is an unofficial standard made by common GHC/Hugs
> features. afaik, other two Haskell compilers are not evolve any more.
> so that really you want to standartize? :)  i think, the

Yes, that's true.

> standartization process will help only in situations when there is
> several fast-grown and uncompatible realizations

I think that often there is resistance to use these optional features,
even though they've been around for awhile.  Not only that, but Haskell
98 source parsers won't work with those programs.  I think it would be
good to have an up-to-date, documented standard, that reflects what is
really being used out there.