[Haskell-cafe] Strict and non-strict vs eager and lazy, was C onfused about Cyclic struture

Bernard Pope bjpop at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jul 19 04:50:18 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 09:03 +0100, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
> > From: Bernard Pope [mailto:bjpop at cs.mu.OZ.AU]
> >
> > I should have mentioned this paper:
> >
> > @article{Tremblay01,
> >   author=       {G. Tremblay},
> >   title=        {Lenient evaluation is neither strict nor lazy},
> >   journal=      {Computer Languages},
> >   volume=       {26},
> >   number=       {1},
> >   pages=        {43--66},
> >   year=         {2001},
> > }
> >
> > (however I think he says that Haskell is lazy!)

> Thanks. Do you have a link to a free (beer) version? I don't have an ACM
> subscription.

No. I only have a paper copy lying around somewhere.

> I found this related paper, which was useful:
> How Much Non-strictness do Lenient Programs Require?
> http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~schauser/papers/95-fpca.ps

I haven't read that. Thanks for the pointer.

There was a discussion related to this topic on the types list a while
back.

Here is a link to the conclusion:

http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/pipermail/types-list/2004/000352.html

Bernie.