[Haskell-cafe] matrix computations based on the GSL

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Mon Jul 18 04:14:12 EDT 2005

Hello Alberto,

>>If there are no efficiency concerns, I would drop element-wise operations
>>and prefer a matrix-map and a matrix-zipWith. If these operations shall
>>remain I would somehow point to their element-wise operation in the name.

AR> There is about 5x speed gain if we map in the C side. The "optimized" floating
AR> map functions could be moved to a separate module.

GHC also have a RULES pragma which can be used to automatically
convert, for example, "mmap (*)" to "multipleElementWise". below is
examples of using this pragma in the standard GHC modules:

{-# RULES
"foldr/id"                    foldr (:) []  = \x->x
"foldr/single"  forall k z x. foldr k z [x] = k x z
"foldr/nil"     forall k z.   foldr k z []  = z
 #-}

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com