[Haskell-cafe] Lists vs. Monads

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:32:49 EDT 2005

Interpretation A is correct. The type (constructor) of Lists gives a
monad together with return x = [x] and x >>= f = concatMap f x.

Interpretation B doesn't really work, because the monad interface does
not give one the ability to write "head" or "tail". You basically have
return (which gets you from an outside type into the monad), and bind
(which doesn't get you out of the monad, and doesn't permit direct
manipulation of the structure, so "tail" is generally not possible).

Lists give an especially good example of a monad though. Most (if not
all) monads can be viewed as containers of some type, with a broad
enough meaning of the word "container".

I wrote a little piece at
http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/MonadsAsContainers which goes over this
way of viewing them. Lists are a fundamental example. Near the end, I
show how things such as the state and reader monads can be viewed as
(perhaps a little unnatural) container types.

I think that both views (monads as containers and monads as semantics
for computation) are important to understanding monads and how they
relate to programming.

Hope this helps
 - Cale