[Haskell-cafe] Module.T naming style

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 15 06:47:02 EDT 2005

On 15 July 2005 11:24, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> On 15 July 2005 09:48, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>>
>>> The limit in Haskell is that most compilers don't conform to the
>>> Haskell 98 report which allows mutually recursive modules. But I
>>> think the compilers should allow them instead of forcing users to
>>> put many type and class definitions into one module.
>>
>> I hope you weren't including GHC in "most compilers" :-)  GHC's
>> implementation of mutually recursive modules is conformant with
>> Haskell 98 (see Section 5.7).
>
> But there are unresolved problems with class definitions.
>  http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2005-May/009873.html
>
> Is this covered by the statement "Modules may be mutually recursive."?
>  http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/modules.html

Ok, mututal recursion between classes in separate modules isn't
currently supported (I'd forgotten about that).  But it's a bit harsh to
say that because of this missing feature GHC doesn't support mutually
recursive modules - we've been using mutually recursive modules in GHC
itself for nearly a decade!

Cheers,
	Simon