[Haskell-cafe] matrix computations based on the GSL

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Jul 8 12:26:46 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Keean Schupke wrote:

> So the linear operator is translation (ie: + v)... effectively 'plus'
> could be viewed as a function which takes a vector and returns a matrix
> (operator)
>
>     (+) :: Vector -> Matrix

Since a matrix _is_ not a linear map but only its representation, this
would not make sense. As I said (v+) is not a linear map thus there is no
matrix which represents it. A linear map f must fulfill
 f 0 == 0

But since
 v+0 == v
  the function (v+) is only a linear map if 'v' is zero.

 I can't see how to fit in your vector extension by the 1-component.