[Haskell-cafe] matrix computations based on the GSL

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at um.es
Thu Jul 7 14:37:29 EDT 2005

Hello! Thank you very much for all your suggestions. A new version of the
library can be found at:

http://dis.um.es/~alberto/hmatrix/matrix.html

Here are the main changes:

- Vector and Matrix are now different types with different functions operating
on them. They cannot be interchanged and we must use explicit conversion
functions. Things like (v::Vector) + (m::Matrix), or svd (v::Vector) are
statically rejected. You must use functions like matrix_x_matrix,
matrix_x_vector, dot :: Vector->Vector->Double, etc. On the other hand, there
are functions to build a matrix from a list of vectors, to concatenate the
columns of a matrix as a vector, etc. If I am not mistaken, now the
ambiguities explained by Henning do not occur.

- Only Eq, Show, and Read instances are now defined for Vector and Matrix. No
numeric instances are defined, although it is very easy to do it using the
functions provided. I have included a tentative "Interface" module including
some hopefully user friendly operators. But it can be replaced or deleted
without any problem... :)

If this approach makes sense, we can proceed to include more standard linear
algebra functions based on GSL, LAPACK, or on any other available resource.
We can use a darcs repository to allow contributions from all interested
people.

And a few comments:

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>Actually, Haskell does allow you to do that.  But the syntax of the
>types gets pretty horrendous.

We must also "add" types. To build a matrix from blocks we need something
like:

matrix_block_row :: Matrix n m -> Matrix n o -> Matrix n (o+m)

I understand from some papers and messages to the list that it can be done,
but then we may also want lists of matrices with different dimensions:

matrix_block :: [[Matrix ? ?]] -> Matrix

The compile-time consistency check is not trivial.

On the other hand, many useful functions have a type which depends on a value:

vector :: [Double] -> Vector n

We should statically reject this:

vector [1,2,3] `vector_add` vector [1,2]

(or perhaps we can imitate the zip behavior? :)

The sizes of some vectors and matrices depend on run time computations, even
without taking into account IO:

nullspace :: Matrix m n -> Matrix k n

k depends on the particular matrix. We can improve this to:

nullspace :: Matrix m n -> [Vector n]

but if we need the nullspace in another matrix operation we must build a
matrix from a list whose size is not known at compile time...

Static size checking is an advanced topic!

Alberto