[Haskell-cafe] Re: ocr'ed version of "The implementation offunctional languages"

Ivan Boldyrev boldyrev+nospam at cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru
Mon Jan 31 06:20:27 EST 2005

On 9006 day of my life Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Matthew
>
> Yes, I'm happy for you to OCR the book, but can I ask that whatever
> you get be made accessible from my web site, so there's one place
> people can go to find everything that's available?

Certainly.  This is *your* book.  I'm not going to put it somewhere
else.

> What would OCR buy us?  Searching, I guess, which is a fantastic
> plus.  Anything else?

As other already suggested, we can re-typeset you book with LaTeX.
And produce even more compact and good-looking PDF document with
searching, copy-pasting, printing, and so on.  And you can use sources
for new improved edition of the book. :)

> Thanks very much for offering to help.  I've replied to
> haskell-café, so everyone knows what's up, but we can now save
> everyone's bandwidth by narrowing the thread to Ivan, Marnie (who
> did the original work), you, and me.  If anyone else wants to join
> in, do yell.

It's going to be large project, what about creating new list? :)  Can
people at haskell.org help?

P.S.  I will upload DjVu version on Monday to Marnie's site.

P.P.S.  Perhaps, I can perform OCR myself if I will find a way to
automate it.  I will use high-res scans, which are much better than
JPEGs for OCRing.  Give me some days for experiments.  I need help for
converting to LaTeX and proofreading.

--
Ivan Boldyrev