[Haskell-cafe] Re: File path programme

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Sun Jan 30 22:56:26 EST 2005

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk writes:

> AFAIK MacOS normalizes filenames, but using a slightly different
> algorithm than Unicode (perhaps just an older version).

According to <http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1173.html>, Mac OS
X uses different forms depending on the file system.

| For example, HFS Plus uses a variant of Normal Form D in which
| U+2000 through U+2FFF, U+F900 through U+FAFF, and U+2F800 through
| U+2FAFF are not decomposed (this avoids problems with round trip
| conversions from old Mac text encodings).

The big catch to watch out for is that Mac OS X supports UFS, which is
case sensitive, and HFS+, which is not. I've had at least one Haskell
program that didn't work properly because it tried to create two files
named "tags" and "TAGS" in the same directory.
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>