[Haskell-cafe] Re: library documentation

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Sat Jan 29 14:23:18 EST 2005

On 2005-01-29, Isaac Jones <ijones at syntaxpolice.org> wrote:
> What I'm doing for the cabal is keeping the _darcs directory in the
> same place as the CVS directory, and keeping them in sync by hand.
> This isn't too painful, if it were, I think there are some tools out
> there for this.

I'd think that would be king of painful

cvsync/tailor.py might work for this purpose, but I don' think
it'd like having them be in the same location -- see
http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/ConvertingFromSubversion
Despite the URL it *ought* to work with CVS too.
darcs get http://nautilus.homeip.net/~lele/projects/cvsync/

> Someone else suggested that someone maintain a darcs repository for
> the libraries and pull in documentatin changes, and then sync it all
> at once.  I think that's a bad idea, because merging is never very
> easy, and is error prone.

Agreed.

> What might be good is if someone with CVS access would keep a darcs
> mirror of all of fptools (or just the libraries), and keep the darcs
> side automatically in sync w/ the CVS side (there are some tools for
> this).  Then people could send darcs patches to this poor soul who
> would be sure to review them before committing them to CVS.  I doubt
> that there would be too much traffic to handle, and if there were,
> then we could possibly put different people in charge of different
> components.

The script mentioned above will probably help with that.

> Eventually, of course, everyone will realize that life
> would be simpler if we got rid of CVS altogether, and darcs will be
> mature enough to handle GHC, and we'll switch :)

Here's hoping.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-