[Haskell-cafe] File path programme

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:06:53 EST 2005

I don't pretend to fully understand various unicode standard but it
seems to me that these problems are deeper than file path library. The
equation (decode . encode)
/= id seems confusing for me. Can you give me an example when this
happen? What can we do when the file name is passed as command line
argument to program? We need to convert String to FilePath after all.

> Even simple manipulations break in the presence of encoding issues, or
> even just of unusual paths.  What is the extension of "\\.\TAPE0" ?  Its
> not "\TAPE0".  BTW this is a valid path on Windows 2000 upwards.  If you
> don't care about corner cases, then you have no worries.  It would be
> nice to have correct handling for all valid paths on each supported OS
> though.

Yes it isn't. If the library makes proper parsing it will return "no extension".

Krasimir