[Haskell-cafe] File path programme

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 08:54:04 EST 2005

Jules Bean wrote:

> only it isn't. That's a property of a shell, the underlying OS allows
> spaces in file names with no need for an escaping mechanism.

Okay, that was a mistake... but it does not change the point, that
pathToString needs to work out what platform it
is on, and doing it without typeclasses makes it not extensible.

We need a way of allowing people to define new path printers (as members
of a class)... whilst having the program
determine which platform it is on, and choosing the correct instance (at
compile time).

    Keean.