[Haskell-cafe] using Map rather than FiniteMap

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Jan 26 09:28:58 EST 2005

Ah, ok.  So I ran the code with 100000 items,
50000 items, and 25000 items and got total memory
in use of 28Mb, 15Mb, and 8Mb respectively.  That
comes to 260-280 bytes per record which is still
an order of magnitude higher than the 20-30 bytes
per record we would expect.

On the other hand, I found 10mb, 5mb, and 2.5mb
maximum residency, but that is still ~100 bytes
per record.

Lastly, I tried "example +RTS -p -K5M -hc" and
then looked at the resulting graph (attachment #2)
and it shows a total of 1.6Mb heap allocated and
if that data is correct, it does correspond
roughly to our 20-30 bytes per record estimate.

Regarding stack, I tried "example +RTS -p -K5M -xt
-hc" and then ran hp2ps and looked at the
resulting graph (attachment #1) SYSTEM appears to
use 4mb of stack at the very beginning (presumably
to create "zipped"), but I don't know why it
would.  Then this stack is consumed by the rest of
the program.

Can you provide some guidance on interpreting this
data?

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com