[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hugsvs GHC (again)was: Re: Somerandomnewbiequestions

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jan 24 15:08:35 EST 2005

Ketil Malde wrote:

> > The point is that the Unix documentation does not consider the short
> > pause as data is read off your hard drive to be blocking. So that's why
> > select will always report that data is available when you use it with a
> > file handle.
>
> Isn't this also for historic reasons?

Partly.

But I think that it's also because this functionality wasn't intended
for the purpose which is being discussed, i.e. enabling a process to
obtain maximal CPU utilisation.

For that purpose, explicit overlapped I/O (in all forms) can only ever
be a partial solution, because you still have the issue that "memory"
(i.e. code/data/stack segments) is demand-paged. The only solution
there is multiple threads.