[Haskell-cafe] Reading images

Thu Jan 20 14:35:43 EST 2005

Hello!

I need to write a function in Haskell, which

1) reads a greyscale image (for instance, in JPEG, PNG or the like) and

2) transforms it into a n X m matrix A, where Aij contains an integer value
(in the range 0 to 255). That integer value is zero for a completely black
pixel, 255 for a completely white pixel and lies between zero and 255 for a
grey pixel.

In my program, I need ONLY to read an image and to transform it into such
matrix.

Which graphics library can you recommend, if no other image manipulation
operations are required?

TIA

Dmitri Pissarenko
--