[Haskell-cafe]Re: Hugsvs GHC (again)was: Re: Somerandomnewbiequestions

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 20 05:01:05 EST 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:

>We're getting a bit confused here.  Keean: the original question was
>about whether a disk read will stop all other *Haskell* threads.  Not OS
>threads.  The two are quite different beasts in GHC.
>
>Cheers,
>	Simon

But if GHC is running with the -threaded flag, then other Haskell-threads
can keep running using the second OS-thread, even though one Haskell-thread
(and its associated OS thread) is blocking - right?

In other words even with disk IO (as I said the kernel would not
busy-wait - so there are
only two options, this OS-thread is put to sleep, or the data is already
in a buffer and is
returned immediately), all the other Haskell-threads should not block
(provided it is
running with -threaded)

Have I got that right?

    Keean.