[Haskell-cafe] Top Level etc.

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Wed Jan 19 07:25:14 EST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 12:52, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> I have been musing on the connection between data-types, modules,
> classes, and implicit parameters, and wondering if there might be
> some grand scheme to tie it all together. For instance, a module is
> very similar to class with no type parameters and all members
> defined. [...]

You will probably find this paper interesting: Wolfram Kahl and Jan
Scheffczyk: "Named Instances for Haskell Type Classes",
http://www.informatik.uni-bonn.de/~ralf/hw2001/4.pdf

I wonder if their (conservative) extensions have ever been contemplated
for inclusion in one of the standard Haskell implementations.

Ben