[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hugs vs GHC (again)was: Re: Somerandomnewbiequestions

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 04:20:42 EST 2005

Nonblocking (asynchronous IO) is only one solution. Another is to use
blocking IO and
multiple threads. Each thread represents an IO dependency, in other
words there is no
point in a thread doing IO continuing because it needs the data it is
waiting for. Unassociated
threads do not get blocked and carry on. Threading has the advantage of
using multiple
CPUs if available - asynchronous IO does not do this. With the advent of
multi-cored CPUs
(due to heat problems CPUs will not be getting much faster in terms of
raw GHz) threading
is obviously the way forward.

GHC already supports multiple threads (with the -threaded flag I think)
... where FFI actions
are started in their own thread... Of course there are overheads with
starting threads, so
normally applications maintain a 'thread-pool' of ready to use,
pre-initialised threads... I don't
know if GHC does this.

    Keean.