[Haskell-cafe] Re: I/O interface

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Thu Jan 13 07:20:43 EST 2005

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> writes:

> Ketil Malde <ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no> writes:

>> It seemed to me, though, that streams are related to channels,

> I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by streams (because they are
> only being designed), but differences are:

Sorry for being unclear, I was thinking in relation to the new-io
proposal Simon M. recently posted on the lists (I put all Haskell mail
in the same folder, it could have been a ghc list or haskell@).

> - A stream passes around bytes, which are usually grouped in blocks
>   for efficiency. A channel is polymorphic wrt. the element type and
>   elements are always processed one by one.

Perhaps I'm confused, but while Stream.StreamInputStream is a stream
of Word8, Text.TextInputStream provides a stream of Chars.

Thanks for the explanation!

-kzm