[Haskell-cafe] Building GUIs for Haskell programs

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 22:33:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 21:05 +0100, Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to learn to create GUIs with Haskell.
>
> Which GUI frameworks can you recommend?

wxHaskell is good for building portable GUIs. It has an extensive
selection of widgets and has a good API.

gtk2hs is good for building GUIs that target the Linux/Gtk/Gnome
platform (though it is portable to Windows). It is also an extensive
toolkit. It allows you to visually design GUIs with the Glade user
interface builder. The API style is currently more low level than that
of wxHaskell or FLTK.

There is also a binding to FLTK which is a much simpler, more light
weight portable graphics toolkit.

As far as I know, these are the only actively maintained GUI toolkits
for Haskell at the moment.

Duncan
(gtk2hs developer)