[Haskell-cafe] Re: Utility functions

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 6 07:05:44 EST 2005

On 30 December 2004 05:25, Philippa Cowderoy wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>> But like I've said, I am willing to negotiate with people that
>> require code under a license that lets them use it without releasing
>> the code. I have also stated that I will put any part of the code
>> I've written under the fptools license if that code will be added to
>> fptools.  (I perceive that as a greater good than license pragmatism
>> in this instance.)
>
> This is the bit I was worried about, the idea of GPLed library code in
> fptools disturbs me somewhat.

There are already a couple of bits of (L)GPL under fptools: GMP and
readline.  GMP we'd like to replace because it is necessarily a part of
every compiled Haskell program; readline isn't so important but it would
be nice to have a BSD-licensed replacement.

The policy for Haskell libraries in fptools is that licenses are
assigned no finer than package granularity, so that a user of a package
can have a reasonable chance of telling whether they are complying with
the relevant licenses.

Cheers,
	Simon