[Haskell-cafe] Re: GHC for .NET?

Don Syme dsyme at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 5 07:10:53 EST 2005

> I've heard complaints about the unsuitability of the Java VM for lazy
> functional languages. I wonder if the CLR also has issues for this?

The CLR has some technical features that make it more attractive than
the JVM, e.g. pointer-based unsafe code (useful for some closure
representations), tailcalls, generics, light-weight code generation (the
latter can be used for mixed interpretation/compilation with code
reclamation).

But in the end it will depends on what your goals are - you will
probably take a performance hit, but you will get a lot of benefits,
e.g. loads of great libraries and tools.  I think a variant of Haskell
could find a niche in the context of either Java or .NET.

Cheers
Don