[Haskell-cafe] ReadS with Maybe

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Jan 4 21:44:11 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 08:48:26PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> What is the reason for the definition
>
>  ReadS a = [(a, String)]
>
> not being
>
>  ReadS a = Maybe (a, String)
>
> ? The latter one reflects that either one or no value is read, whereas the
> first definition allows an arbitrary number of read values which is
> confusing and unsafe in my opinion.

I always wondered why we have
readIO :: Read a => String -> IO a
instead of the absurdly more useful and strictly superior
readM :: (Monad m,Read a) => String -> m a

then we can just readM as a list, a maybe, in IO, for pattern matching in
arbitrary monads... sigh.

I think I am just a real fan of type classes when it comes to code reuse
:)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈