[Haskell-cafe] YAWQ (Yet Another Wash Question)

Matthias Neubauer neubauer at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Feb 24 12:57:12 EST 2005

Jeremy Shaw <Jeremy.Shaw at linspireinc.com> writes:

> I am making a wild guess because I do not have all the information in
> front of me right now but would this work ?
>
> ... do x <- if cond
>>                then textInputField ...
>>                else return ()

... Let me make another guess, probably an even wilder one, ...

You have to return a common type for both branches of the if. In the
code snippet from above, you either get back a handle to a text input
field or () --- so the types won't fit.

To unify the types of both branches, I guess you have to introduce an
new "wrapper" data type that *mabye* holds a handle of an input field
*m* with return value *a* and validity flag *x*.

data MaybeInputField m a x = MaybeInputField (Maybe (m a x))

It is important that all "input field type constructors" take two type
arguments---one for the return type, and another one for the
validity. Otherwise you won't be able to pass the input field to a
submit button. (MaybeInputField TexxtInputField) for example fits into
that scheme.

With that in place, you may be able to write something like the
following ...

... do mH <- if cond
                then do h <- textInputField ...
                        return (MaybeInputField (Just h))
                else return (MaybeInputField Nothing)

-Matthias

> On Feb 24, 2005 08:42 AM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for everyone that's helped me out with my Wash questions. I
>> have
>> one more.
>>
>> I have a textInputField that I only want to display on a form in
>> certain
>> cituations.  I can't figure out how to make this work.  For instance:
>>
>> ... do if cond
>>           then x <- textInputField ...
>>           else ()
>>        submit ...
>>
>> Well, two problems there... first, the scope of the x doesn't reach to
>> the submit.  Second, there's a type issue.  So I thought maybe I could
>> figure out something like this:
>>
>> ... do x <- if cond
>>                then textInputField ...
>>                else ()
>>
>> still stuck with the typing problem.
>>
>> So I thought maybe something like this...
>>
>> ... do let x = if cond
>>                   then Just $ textInputField ...
>>                   else Nothing
>>
>> Though I suspect this won't work either, since the textInputField
>> won't
>> actually be processed at the right place in the program.
>>
>> I then thought maybe I could kludge by this with a hidden field, but I
>> can't find one of those, either.
>>
>> Ideas, anyone?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

> --
>
> This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the
> addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone
> the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,
> please advise the sender and delete the message.  Thank you.

Matthias Neubauer                                       |
Universität Freiburg, Institut für Informatik           | tel +49 761 203 8060
Georges-Köhler-Allee 79, 79110 Freiburg i. Br., Germany | fax +49 761 203 8052