[Haskell-cafe] Literate Haskell

yeoh at cs.wisc.edu yeoh at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 20 03:46:00 EST 2005

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:21:00 +0100
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm curious what experienced Haskellers think about using literate
> Haskell in daily work.
>
> It seems to me like a good idea, since during coding it often helps to
> write down one's thoughts (often, I find a solution to a complicated
> problem in this way).

I use LHS by default.  Here's some stats on the single LHS file I've been
hacking away at:

Lines of comments over code: 53%
Char count of comments/code: 49%

This is for a 754-line file.

I'm real big on notes/comments, since I have often stared in bewilderment
at my own code years later wondering what the heck I was doing.  The
puzzlement is unusual; normally, it's a good laugh.

I use TextPad, and some of the comments are sidelined Haskell snippets,
like on a pasteboard.  Syntax coloring is active throughout the file,
except in comments enclosed by "--/", which is my little kludge on TextPad
to get it to work out right.  Works nicely so far.