[Haskell-cafe] Parsing in Haskell

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Feb 15 08:13:57 EST 2005

I've used Parsec for small and more complex parsing tasks, and found it
works well for both.

In the past, I've used parser generators (not with Haskell), but now I find
that I prefer to express a parser directly in the main programming language
I'm using ... that way, it's easier to "escape" the grammar and do the
things that aren't always so easy to do within the BNF-and-stuff
formalisms.  I find my code using Parsec is close enough to the BNF that
the syntax production logic is easy enough to see.  A very useful feature
of Parsec is that, within what is broadly an LL(1) parsing framework, it
provides a controlled limited lookahead capability.

Another useful little trick I've found using Haskell+Parsec is that for an
interpreted "little language", instead of returning a data structure
describing the input sentence, I can return a function that can be applied
to appropriate values to execute it directly.

#g