[Haskell-cafe] Things to avoid (Was: Top 20 ``things'' to know in Haskell)

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Feb 10 07:11:37 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Thomas J=E4ger wrote:

> Altogether, the spirit of the page seems to be "use as little
> syntactic sugar as possible" which maybe appropriate if it is aimed at
> newbies, who often overuse syntactic sugar (do-notation).

What I forgot: Each new syntactic sugar is something more, a reader must
know, a compiler and debugger developer must implement and test, a source
code formatter, highlighter, documentation extractor or code transformer
must respect. We should try harder to reduce these extensions rather than
inventing new ones.  Leave the award for the most complicated syntax for
C++! :-]