[Haskell-cafe] Joels Time Leak

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 15:34:10 EST 2005

Well, there's actually a more interesting problem hidden in here too.

The issue with it taking too long seems to basically be as Joel said,
only one of the threads can take that MVar at a time. Even if the time
that it's taken is fairly short, if one is running faster than the
others, it tries to take the MVar more often, which means that it runs
a higher risk of being blocked and slowed down, letting other threads
take its place. It essentially just forces the scheduler to be more
fair.

The more interesting issue seems to be when one replaces the forkIO in
Util.hs, line 36, with a forkOS and compile with -threaded. You'll get
no alerts for quite some time, and just when you think it's working:

unstuff: user error (ORANGE ALERT: 0s, 4s, SrvServerInfo, ix1: 6, size: 49722)

unstuff: internal error: scavenge_stack: weird activation record found
on stack: 63280
    Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org,
    or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/
cale at zaphod[~/timeleak]$

This seems to happen consistently on at least 3 platforms (Linux,
OpenBSD, Windows) (with sometimes a red alert rather than orange). I
filed a bug in trac corresponding to it.
(http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/641)

 - Cale