[Haskell-cafe] strange stack overflow with Data.Map

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Thu Dec 29 10:39:10 EST 2005

David Roundy wrote:
> Should the Map modules have an additional Map.insertWith' that behaves
> strictly, or might it be the case that you always want strict behavior when
> using insertWith?

I think so.  Once strictness is lost, there's nothing the user of a
library could do about it.  If a container is too strict however,
lazyness can be recovered by wrapping values in an additional data type.
So strict variants of updating functions would be a big win, and if two
versions of every function are deemed too much of a burden, I'd rather
get rid of the lazy version.

Udo.
--
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want and are willing
to go through hell to get it. -- Don Marquis