[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Speed

Branimir Maksimovic bmaxa at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 28 16:19:13 EST 2005

>From: Isaac Gouy <igouy at yahoo.com>
>To: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
>Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Speed
>Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:12:01 -0800 (PST)
>
>Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> > Of course, first example uses [String] instead of
>Data.HashTable
> > as other languages do. Imagine C program does not
>use
> > hash,rather list, how it will perform:)
>
>And the author comments his program
>-- This is a purely functional solution to the
>problem.
>-- An alternative which keeps a mutable table of
>occurences would
>-- be faster.

Yes, I saw that but that does not qualifies for benchmark with hash tables.
I mean program is ok, but this is aplles to oranges.

>We'll be happy to also show a Haskell program that
>uses Data.HashTable - first, someone needs to
>contribute that program.

Ok , i've attached hash table version. As I'm Haskell newbie I suppose
there is someone which can do much better.

> > I didn't look further after that.
>
>Ideal - you may criticize without the risk that others
>will criticize what you do.

Attachment follows, you can cricize my poor Haskell skills as much you want
:)
This version si actually D program trnslated to Haskell + file parsing code
from
original Haskell program. Now wou can compare no matter how slow it is :)

Greetings, Bane.