[Haskell-cafe] Re: binary IO

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Dec 27 20:56:11 EST 2005

Joel Reymont writes:

 > I will have to leave this for a while. I apologize but
 > I'm more than a bit frustrated at the moment and it's not
 > fair of me to take it out on everybody else.

Never mind. Haskell has a very high potential for frustrating
newcomers. I went through the exact same experience when I wrote
my first network code, and I still marvel at the patience the
nice folks on these mailing lists had with all my complaints.

>From what I can tell you have mastered a lot of sophisticated
language theory in a very short time. Part of the reason why
no-one can give you simple answers to your questions is that we
don't know these answers either. Just by asking those questions
you have already extended the boundaries of what the Haskell
community at large knows and understands. Give things a little
time to sink in, and then try it again. Even if you ultimately
decide to write your application in another language, you'll find
that knowing and understanding Haskell will change the way you
design software -- regardless of the language you use. Please
don't give up now that you have come this far.

Peter