[Haskell-cafe] binary IO

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 01:31:49 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 10:20:15PM -0800, Brian McQueen wrote:
> How is this different from the (un)pickle  process that has been
> discussed here recently?  Recently I've seen the Binary discussions,
> and the pickeling discussions, and I noticed they seemed to be talking
> about the same process.

Not much different I guess, but I haven't followed the discussion
closely. Anyway, the only value of my DNS code is that it already
handles DNS packets in pure Haskell.

BTW, if I abstract the deserialization monad using the BinaryParser type
class, I can use different concrete backends, for example Parsec,
low-level UArray based parser, FastPackedString based parser, NewBinary,
etc. Can be handy for debugging - Parsec can give nice error messages,
the only problem is that it insists in line/column positions.

Best regards
Tomasz