[Haskell-cafe] Vectors in Haskell

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Dec 23 09:53:26 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 12:12:49PM +0100, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> Jeff.Harper at handheld.com wrote:
> > {-
> >    This code is works with Glasgow, ghci, with these options:
> >   -fglasgow-exts
> >   -fallow-undecidable-instances
> >   -fno-monomorphism-restriction
> >   -fallow-incoherent-instances
> > -}
>
> First off, try lighter weapons first.  Be switching on all possible
> extensions you're also getting worse error reporting and more unexpected
> interactions.  -fglasgow-exts and -fallow-overlapping-instances should be
> enough.

Indeed, I think this is a very important point, and one of the reasons I'd
like to see Haskell 06 come out with a reasonable set of extensions that
are known to work together well.  I've gone down this path before, adding
extension after extension, and it just leads to more and more
confusion--since I don't understand what the extensions do, or how they
change the language!
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net