[Haskell-cafe] Killer pickler combinators (was Time leak)

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 09:51:42 EST 2005

I'm not sure I buy this. Again, this helps:

{-# NOINLINE lock #-}
lock :: MVar ()
lock = unsafePerformIO $ newMVar ()

trace s = withMVar lock $ const $ putStrLn s

and then in read_

        cmd <- read h trace

trace is called _after_ all the timings in read so it should not
affect the timings.

You could basically say that the lock is at the end of read, after
all the unpickling has been done. The other interesting thing is that
replacing trace with

delay _ = threadDelay 1

does not solve the issue.

--