[Haskell-cafe] Functions with side-effects?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Dec 21 06:43:42 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm a Haskell newbie and I don't really understand how Haskell deals
with functions that really must have side-effects. Like a rand()
function or getLine().

I know this has something to do with monads, but I don't really
understand monads yet. Is there someone who might explain this in newbie
terms? I don't need to understand the whole thing, I don't need a rand()
function right this minute. I just want to understand how Haskell
separates purely functional code from non-functional code (I understand
that a rand() function is inevitably not functional code, right?)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://oooauthors.org