[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Dec 20 19:14:01 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:07:29PM +0100, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> I'm still looking for a good *practical* tutorial that I could
> recommend to newcomers.
> IO, data types and QuickCheck in the very first chapter, I say! Real
> program examples from the get go, and go into the theory on why this
> has been hard in FP before Haskell (or Monadic IO rather) much much
> later, so as to not scare people away.

Indeed, I have been wanting to write something like this for a long
time. perhaps using ginsu or (a simplified) jhc as a long running
example throughout the tutorial. unfortunatly my prose is worse than my
code. But I think such a tutorial (book?) describing how to write a
real-world haskell program from scratch without glossing over details
like IO would be a really great addition to the haskell bookshelf.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈