[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Dec 20 13:52:31 EST 2005

 > == So how do I write "Hello, world"? ==
 >
 > Well, the first thing you need to understand that in a
 > functional language like Haskell, this is a harder
 > question than it seems. Most of the code you will write
 > in Haskell is "purely functional", which means that it
 > returns the same thing every time it is run, and has no
 > side effects. Code with side effects is referred to as
 > "imperative", and is carefully isolated from functional
 > code in Haskell.

I believe this description is a bit misleading. Code written
in the IO monad is purely functional just the same. Haskell
knows no other code than purely functional one. In my humble
opinion, it's unfortunate that many tutorials and
introductionary texts leave the impression that monadic code
would be something utterly different than "normal" Haskell
code. I feel it intimidates the reader by making a monad
appear like black magic, even though it's little more than
syntactic sugar to describe implicit function arguments.

If we'd have an opaque "World" type instead of the IO monad,
'putStrLn' would be:

  putStrLn :: String -> World -> World

How is this function any different from any other function?
So why should

  putStrLn :: String -> IO ()

be different from any other function?

Peter