[Haskell-cafe] First steps in Haskell

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Dec 20 05:25:47 EST 2005

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> I'm certain there are hurdles, but I think on the whole they are
> there by accident rather than design.

Why certainly. I have never seen any on-line community that had hurdles
by design. Hurdles are usually due to the fact that the people who
design the website/community/whatever already know how everything works.

As an example, I also participate in the OpenOffice.org community. The
website is *impossible* to use. To be able to get anywhere you need to
already have fairly in-depth knowledge of the structural organization of
the project. Sure, the site makes perfect sense to those who designed
it. That's because it's organized in a way that reflects the internal
bureocracy, not the questions a visitor is likely to have in mind when
he arrives.

> It turns out that there are a couple of introductory Wiki pages already:
> 	http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/HaskellNewbie
> 	http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/HaskellDemo

Thanks!

> It'd be great if someone would like to improve them in the light of
> this thread.  (Anyone can do this.)

I'll take a look. I'm handy with documentation and usability (though not
a trained expert in either).

Cheers,
Daniel
--