[Haskell-cafe] Int vs Integer

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 19:10:53 EST 2005

Int is for bounded values -2**32 to 2**32 (I think... maybe 2**-31 and
2**31 or less if it's boxed?) based on the underlying machine
representation. Integer is unbounded (arbitrary precision, i.e.
7489571948579148758174534 is a valid Integer). Double is for floating
point values corresponding to C doubles, in hardware (on 32 bit
machines, 64 bit entities) and Floats are half that precision, i.e. 32
bits on 32 bit machines, corresponding to C floats.

see  http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/basic.html#sect6.3 and
http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/basic.html#sect6.4 for more info.

 Jared.