[Haskell-cafe] Substring replacements

Branimir Maksimovic bmaxa at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:40:27 EST 2005

>From: Bulat Ziganshin <bulatz at HotPOP.com>
>To: "Branimir Maksimovic" <bmaxa at hotmail.com>
>CC: daniel.is.fischer at web.de, Haskell-Cafe at haskell.org
>Subject: Re[2]: [Haskell-cafe] Substring replacements
>Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:51:32 +0300
>Hello Branimir,
>Friday, December 16, 2005, 5:36:47 AM, you wrote:
>BM> I've also performed tests on dual Xeon linux box and results are
>just to let you know - GHC don't uses pentium4 hyperthreading,
>multiple cpus or multiple cores in these tests
>only way to make ghc using multiple processors is to use 6.5 beta
>version, compile with "-smp" and explicitly fork several threads

You are right. I've double checked on linux there is just one thread
executing and there is not such a big difference between KMP and
straightforward search.
Just about 10% KMP is faster with my test, but still faster.
I've checked both SMP and non SMP linux (Intel).
Hyperthreading effect is on windows only, I guess, as there
are visible three threads per test process.
I have one amd64 near (I'll check that one too, as soon as admin
sets up account for me on that machine).

Greetings, Bane.