[Haskell-cafe] Battling laziness

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 09:54:08 EST 2005

Simon,

I'm approaching this methodically, as you are suggesting. I re-ran
the program with -hc again and got the following. I suppose it tells
me that I need to investigate launchScripts#8.

COST CENTRE                    MODULE               %time %alloc
launchScripts#8                Main                  85.7   86.0
takeEmptySeat#8                Snippets               8.0    7.0
CAF                            Main                   4.1    5.9

{-# SCC "launchScripts#8" #-}launch host $ script (bot, bot, affid)

I added some strictness and ran again

{-# SCC "launchScripts#8" #-}launch host $! script (bot, bot, affid)

COST CENTRE                    MODULE               %time %alloc
launchScripts#8                Main                  81.0   81.6
takeEmptySeat#8                Snippets              12.1    9.2
CAF                            Main                   5.1    8.3

Did $! make a difference of 4%? I'm running -hy -hclaunchScripts#8 now.

I ran ./randomplay +RTS -p -hy -hclaunchScripts#8, results at http://
wagerlabs.com/randomplay1.tgz results from -hc -hclaunchScripts#8 at
http://wagerlabs.com/randomplay2.tgz

COST CENTRE                    MODULE               %time %alloc
launchScripts#8                Main                  92.1   92.0
takeEmptySeat#8                Snippets               4.3    5.1
CAF                            Main                   2.1    1.9

What do the "by type" (-hy) results tell you and how should I proceed?

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/